Care of Procedure Site
The area should remain bandaged for the first 24 hours. After that time, begin care instructions as follows:
- Clean site(s) with soap and water once daily
- Apply a thin layer of ointment (Vaseline or Aquaphor); do NOT apply Neosporin or triple antibiotic ointment
- Cover with a bandage
- Repeat wound care once daily until healed
- If your biopsy required sutures, do not submerge in water until sutures have been removed
These care instructions should be continued until the site(s) is/are completely healed. It is important to keep the site(s) clean and well hydrated with ointment, then covered. This allows for the best healing conditions.
What to Expect
Pain: mild pain is normal
- You may apply an icepack over a washcloth to the site for 10 minutes on, 20 minutes off over the bandage.
- If needed, take acetaminophen (Tylenol) for pain. Do NOT take if you have liver disease. Do NOT exceed the dose instructions on the bottle
- If bleeding occurs after your biopsy, apply firm pressure for 20 minutes without lifting. If bleeding continues apply ice with firm pressure for 20 more minutes. If bleeding still continues, please call our office.
Infection: mild redness of wound edges & clear, pink or straw-colored drainage is normal
- If you develop expanding redness, increasing pain, milky drainage, fever or chills, please contact our office